Music Theory Course - Zero to Grade 5 Hero
The long-running Zero to Grade 5 Hero course returns for summer 2021. An intensive course running for a week in the summer holidays taking students to a successful ABRSM Grade 5 theory pass. (Exams can be taken at any time from August 2021 onwards).
Details for 2021
This year the course will take place online, using Zoom, on the following dates:
Monday 26th – Thursday 29th July 2021
Monday 9th – Friday 13th August 2021
Followed by free marking service throughout the following term up to Grade 5 exam date
Sessions will run on consecutive weekdays at 1000-1100 and 1110-1200, with a 10-minute break in between for snacks and questions.
The cost of the Music Theory Course remains £160, and includes all of the following teaching books and materials, which will be mailed to you before the course begins:
- Matt Smith – Grade 5 Theory Workbook
- Matt Smith – Set of 10 Sample Grade 5 Papers
- Spiral-bound Pad of Manuscript Paper
- ABRSM theory collection
Subjects to be covered
- Day 1 – Italian words; technical names of notes; Treble, bass, alto and tenor clefs; Chord descriptions and inversions (e.g. Va)
- Day 2 – Compound time signatures; Intervals; breves; Instruments of the orchestra; voice parts; French words
- Day 3 – Major scales; chromatic scales; grouping notes; transposition; German words
- Day 4 – Cadences; harmonic and melodic minor scales; word revision
Marking support after the course
You won’t be left high and dry after the course! Marking support up to the date of the exam is included.
The course is tutored by SIMON JORDAN, Radio 3 Producer, performer and piano and violin tutor at Pipers Corner and High March schools. For more information please contact Simon on 07403 232517.