Music Theory Course - Zero to Grade 5 Hero
Following on from the success of this course in 2019 and 2020, the Zero to Grade 5 Hero course returns for summer 2021. An intensive course running for a week in the summer holidays taking students to a successful ABRSM Grade 5 theory pass the following term.
Details for 2021
This year the course will take place online, using Zoom, on the following dates:
- Mon 12th – Thu 15th April 2021
- Thu 22nd – Tue 27th August 2021
Followed by free marking service throughout the autumn term up to Grade 5 exam date
Sessions will run on consecutive weekdays at 1000-1100 and 1110-1200, with a 10-minute break in between for snacks and questions.
The cost of the Music Theory Course is £160 (£40 per day, unchanged since the course began in 2019), and includes the following materials, which will be mailed to you before the course begins:
- Matt Smith – Grade 5 Theory Workbook
- Matt Smith – Set of 10 Sample Grade 5 Papers
- Spiral-bound Pad of Manuscript Paper
- ABRSM theory collection
Subjects to be covered
- Day 1 – Italian words; technical names of notes; Treble, bass, alto and tenor clefs; Chord descriptions and inversions (e.g. Va)
- Day 2 – Compound time signatures; Intervals; breves; Instruments of the orchestra; voice parts; French words
- Day 3 – Major scales; chromatic scales; grouping notes; transposition; German words
- Day 4 – Cadences; harmonic and melodic minor scales; word revision
Marking support after the course
You won’t be left high and dry after the course! Marking support up to the date of the exam is included.
The course is tutored by SIMON JORDAN, Radio 3 Producer, performer and piano and violin tutor at Pipers Corner and High March schools. For more information please use the contact form below.